AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  General Vampirism Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Have You Ever Been The Subject Of Discrimination As A Vampire? 0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Have You Ever Been The Subject Of Discrimination As A Vampire?  (Read 95569 times)
inle01
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:58 AM »

I've never knowingly suffered discrimination because of my vampirism. However, in common with many folk who have already posted here, I'm pretty selective on who I tell.

I've had various reactions in confiding, from acceptance to indifference to sheer confusion. A few simply believed I wanted sex (how they got there I have no idea), another friend laughed when he found out, partly because after knowing him for a while I accidentally found out that he was a donor. Other friends know because we worked closely together on a number of magical projects and not knowing could have been to their detriment - as it turned out my 'skills' came in very handy. The best response has been when I've found a fellow vampire, they tend to be curious and sympathetic and I've have some firm friends that way.

The most dissappointing are the ones who don't believe you or ignore what you're saying. I've always tried to talk to people who I think would take me seriously and help me out, but it's always sad when I find out that I've misjudged.

I don't think I'd ever come out publicly. Previously I had a job very much in the public eye and I feel that announcing that I was a vampire would have been detrimental to me and the company I worked for. My family certainly doesn't know and it's unlikely that I will tell them. Occasionally I have moments where I want to tell the world and couldn't give a fig what the world says back. It would be great if everyone was accepting and would make some aspects so much easier to cope with, but now isn't the time. Almost everyone has some dark(ish) secret they are keeping after all, just mine is my vampirism.  Wink

If I could have though of something witty, I'd've put it here. Smiley
Altheia
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:03:33 PM »

no, because I've never talked about that with friends and family, and I'm also not going to do so.
maybe it's because I know it would be very very difficult. here in Germany it's now OK to be a Goth...it's just normal. Gothics are like all the others. a different lifestile, different music... but we're all a part of the society. only a minority of people would discriminate Gothics.
So no one care's that I'm a Gothic. but if I would come around and say: Hey I'm a Vampire, that would bring trouble. in the family on the one side, but also I have to be very careful concerning my scientific reputation. a Vampire as Egyptologist? that's to much for all the scientists out there. I definitely can't risk anything like that.
and so I have to deal with my vampire nature like all the other German Vampires I know so far (mainly Sangs): we're hiding what we are, as a protection of our social life. and even most of the longtime friends never know it.
Calrathoul
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »

Growing up in the Southeast USA, i was discriminated against fairly often. Even attacked on several occasions. However now that I am older and more experienced, I can choose when and where to be "seen" for what I am. Through experience we all learn to blend in, to hide what needs to be hidden, when it is necessary to do so.

If anyone ever needs any tips, I will be glad to share what I have learned, though all of the ideas may not be applicable to all situations and areas.

Calrathoul
dollboy
Level 1 Contributor

i like cheese

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »

well everyone at skool thinks im a freak its probilly the way i dress (i live in a small town full of rich ppl) and likeive felt that pll hated me cuz i "look creepy" not as a vampire. though my girl friends was always there to comfort me called me tall dark and creepy i always liked that

Photobucket
cassidy
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »

I have a pagan friend who asked me straight if I was a pv, I told him I was. He seemed very supportive, until we got into a argurment and he called me a parasite. I was deeply hurt, I couldn't understand how he could claim to be so open minded but be so vicious. We made up not long after that in which he apologized, but until recently he was dead set on tryin to talk me out of what I am, it got to the point that I had to tell him he can accept it of we can not be friends. I excepted him with open arms for what he is, I expected the same. Never the less, we are still friends but not as close as we were. I asked him to please do is research before he judged me or people like me........

The past is history, the future is a mystery, today is called the present because it is a gift.
Eclecta
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 4 Contributor

Bite me...

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

I've been a weirdo all my life, so I don't know if it's because of that or what- that I get looked down upon more often.  I honestly don't care and wouldn't have it any other way.  Most people are very close minded and I'm very happy I'm not one of them. 

Love is the  law, Love under will.
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »

That's a funny story really...my mother asked me about it because she found one of my books and freaked out so I had to go into an in depth discussion of energy and ended up just telling her about reiki and how that's energy work used daily and about how some people get sick because they don't have energy and what not...needless to say it was severely grade schooled for her.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
SilverRose
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »

I have gotten alot of crap from the few pwople i have told and it went around the whole school at first i got alot of crap for it and people would ask me stupid questions like do you sleep in a coffin or can you fly or how can you be out in the daylight all of the common myths but now i get the occasional crap from people who were just told and since then i pick and chose very carefully who i tell but the whole situation isn't good for draining people because they no to an extent what i am but i don't think they would know anyway because the have little to no knowledge about modern vampirism.

Everyone has their own perception of perfection.

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat.

Meja yht mad meja.
asteria
Level 5 Contributor

In The Night We Are Free

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »

Where I live I am greatly discriminated against because of what I am. If I had a choice my parents would never have revealed it. I live through teasing and taunts everytime I go out.

The freedom of the night rejuvenates my soul and forgives my sins with its euphoria for I am a creature of the night and she will protect her children.
SilverRose
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »

You're parents actually know what you are. If i told my parents they would think i was crazy.

Everyone has their own perception of perfection.

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat.

Meja yht mad meja.
WhiteRabbit
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »

Yes I have, from sang vamps, who felt like they where better than me because they drank blood. It has changed the way I feel about others who are vampires. I have a hard time "comming out" to other vampires or trusting them. I have only ever told one non-vampire about myself. They took it well, but though I could somehow "turn" them.They just didn't get it. Lol, so I don't tell non vampires about myself and I really have a hard time even talking about that part of me to other vampires., though I have online on occasion, Like I have here.

"Most everyone's mad here.
You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
asteria
Level 5 Contributor

In The Night We Are Free

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »

You're parents actually know what you are. If i told my parents they would think i was crazy.

My parents know what I am because we are the same. At least you have found acceptance in this site. That should provide some comfort.

The freedom of the night rejuvenates my soul and forgives my sins with its euphoria for I am a creature of the night and she will protect her children.
WhiteRabbit
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »

It does. It's just hard sometimes because I would like to have a good relationship with my sister, I miss her dearly. We where really close as children and to have her now not talking to me, well, it just bites.

"Most everyone's mad here.
You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »

My childs mother has been the only one who has given me any flack over it, and that eventually passed.

I tend to feed on positive attention so have being personable down pat.  I am perfectly comfortable discussing it with my family, friends, and coworkers if they ask, although I generally dont deliberately mix my personal and professional life.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy.

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »

I have never been a victim of any serious descrimination because of my Vampirism.  People do taunt and point, but that is only because they don't understand.  They think we are trying to play a childish game and pretend we are the vampires you see in movies, but the problem is, they wont listen when we try to explain the fact that there are real Vampires and that the lifestyle is much different.  My parents know, but do not really care.  My mother more than my father, my father knows I am interested, but doesn't know I practice.  My mother knows, but doesn't ask about it.  So the most descrimination I get is that taunting, but that doesn't bother me much, I know that they are just being ignorant people.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: