AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:59:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  01.26.11 - Coast To Coast AM - DJ Williams - Vampire Subculture 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 01.26.11 - Coast To Coast AM - DJ Williams - Vampire Subculture  (Read 7043 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »

Coast To Coast AM
Hosted By George Noory

DJ Williams - Vampire Subculture
Wednesday, January 26, 2011

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/williams-dj/50067

D.J. Williams Biography:

Dr. D.J. Williams completed a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree and a Master of Science (MS) degree from the University of Utah, and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree and postdoctoral fellowship from the University of Alberta. His work focuses on leisure sciences, sexology, social work and criminology. Dr. Williams is a social worker, postmodern thinker, and a leading expert on deviant leisure.

Relevant audio begins at 8 minutes:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/puX0T2vuMfo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/puX0T2vuMfo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/beEjtTFSjQo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/beEjtTFSjQo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NopyafCbS28" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NopyafCbS28</a>

RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »

Not so much a negative view aside of the concept of vampirism being 'deviant' - which is something we wont escape anyway.  I would be curious to know who it was that got this researcher started on this, however - as I have suspicions about it. I would also point out that the reasons there are 'more psis than sangs' is that its easier to pretend to be psi than sang, and sangs dont advertise generally. That said, he does seem to view vampirism as simply an aspect of humanity that is generally harmless.

Automotive Necromancer
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:48 AM »

I would also point out that the reasons there are 'more psis than sangs' is that its easier to pretend to be psi than sang,

While pretending may be a valid reason, i have to disagree on how easy it is or could be. One can talk out their behind all they want. It's easy to lie about anything. Proving that one can or does feed (and indeed needs it) is another matter.
We don't have any solid evidence for the Real vampires to indicate need, psy or sang, only theories and suspicion. So one, right there, could lie about their need and with no agreed base for comparison (or not much of one) and without solid proof for what IS real.. we can't exactly prove that one is lying anyway (other than intuition and poking at claims).

One can easily claim to feed on energy. It's not visible, not tangible (though some consider it tangible in some sense), Though one could observe subtle signs/symptoms of the "vampire" and the "donor", there isn't much, if anything for solid evidence. .
Drinking is a natural action, one can easily claim to be vampire or that they need blood, even believe it themselves (as i've witnessed personally). Finding a donor on the other hand is a bit more dangerous and difficult but once a donor is found, the act of drinking blood isn't so difficult.

I don't think it's easier for one to be falsely portrayed or claimed than the other.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »

But it IS easier, Darklilone, precisely because of how intangible, and still ultimately unprovable psionics is. a lot of them would get skeeved out at the thought of actually drinking blood for themselves, but to say, 'oh i feed off energy', is, really, as simple as saying 'oh i believe in X god/s' - no way to prove it, so its an easy yarn to spin. To claim to be a sang, one actually has to walk the talk, as it were.

Automotive Necromancer
deacongray
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:17:40 PM »

I dunno,

I have met a lot of self proclaimed Sang Vampires in real time. Only met two who actually had a regular diet that included blood. I realize it is more difficult for sangs to find donors, but much of the time I got the impression they just like being a "Sang Vampire" There are not a lot of people who stop them and say..."Prove you are a sang vampire...drink a few ounces of my blood!" And even if some one does, the vamp can always say..."I need to see that you have been tested" and that is a good enough reason not to press the issue.

For the most part as long as the talk the common rhetoric, complain about not feeding on occaction, the pretending aspect is about the same from my view point.  Why everyone seems to want to put it to the test with in the community is the only thing that never made sense to me. I don't care if someone is a elemental, cherib, toad licking, unicorn ameiba...kin...not my problem ultimatly..though they might want to watch our for bacteiral dragon kin...I understand they are arch enemies.
Lillith Darkwraith
Level 2 Contributor

Gone

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »

The caller who identified themself as having congenital erythropoietic porphyria (CEP) was bang on. I deal with acute intermittent porphyria (AIP) and I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy either as its a Hell to live with. This is one of the hereditary hepatic porphyrias. My inheritance is autosomal dominant. The deficient enzyme is porphobilinogen deaminase (PBGD), also known as hydroxymethylbilane synthase (HMB synthase). A deficiency of PBGD is not sufficient by itself to produce AIP, and other activating factors must also be present. These include hormones, drugs and dietary changes usage change of human red blood cells etc..  Most people who inherit the gene for AIP never develop symptoms. AIP manifests after puberty, especially in women (due to hormonal influences). Symptoms usually occur as attacks that develop over several hours, days or weeks. Abdominal pain, which can be severe, is the most common symptom but there can be other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarhea, urinary retention; pain in the back, arms and legs, muscle weakness (due to effects on nerves supplying the muscles); palpitation (due to a rapid heart rate and often accompanied by increased blood pressure); confusion, hallucinations and seizures. Hospitalization is often necessary for acute attacks. Medications for pain, nausea and vomiting, and close observation is usually required.

I live within 2 city blocks of a hospital and have a pannic button to press if I need help since I live alone; well not quite alone I have my cat.

At far as I can tell, this was a very positive show.

Even the smallest star shines in the darkness.
D, ,
Level 2 Contributor

I am D, ,

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »

But it IS easier, Darklilone, precisely because of how intangible, and still ultimately unprovable psionics is. a lot of them would get skeeved out at the thought of actually drinking blood for themselves, but to say, 'oh i feed off energy', is, really, as simple as saying 'oh i believe in X god/s' - no way to prove it, so its an easy yarn to spin. To claim to be a sang, one actually has to walk the talk, as it were.
thats is why its always good to hang out over drinks . i watch who drinks the blood or shall we say who can't take it, but im thinking i have met quite a lot more Sangs yet the psi .... lets just say im quite disappointed in the what i have come across in real life...

all things are relative Deacon& Coon, it is the relativity that we need to focus on. worry about validating or invalidating each other later.

Vampirism is different for many of the quotidian Vampires
D, ,

D, ,
Sylivia
Level 1 Contributor

Love open minded people

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »

I would have to say that compared to other interviews  that I have heard/seen on the subject this one was for the most part positive. It sounds like Williams has a rudimentary understanding of the community. 

A whisper on a scream doesn't change a thing
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: